Feed on
Posts
Comments

This summer I attended a half day workshop where Kathy Schrock shared a wealth of information about student-created infographics.  For this week’s literacy tip, I will share my learning and personal thoughts about infographics.  Additionally, the information shared will provide you with ways to use student-created infographics as an authentic assessment.

According to Instant Shift, Infographics are visual presentations of information that use the elements of design to display content. Infographics express complex messages to viewers in a way that enhances their comprehension…Infographics convey a self-contained message or principle…[they] communicate complex data quickly and clearly, and they are considered to be effective worldwide.

For more information on what an infographic is, check out the What is an Infographic infographic embedded below:

What is an infographic?

Created by Customer Magnetism, an award winning Internet marketing agency.

Steps for Creating an Infographic with Students:

1. Students should analyze existing infographics.
    • Here’s a infographic on unemployment that I plan to use next month when we learn about key economic performance measures in AP Macroeconomics.
    • Here’s my all-time favorite infographic on inflation.  My AP Macroeconomics students respond well to the visual depiction of content on this infographic.
    • Here’s a complex but informative infographic on how laws are made.  This is perfect for a Government class!
    • Here’s an infographic that highlights 15 grammar goofs.
  2. Students should engage in the research process based on the assignment guidelines.
  3. Students should be presented with the basic structure of an infographic.
    • The main point should be placed at the top.
    • Supporting details should be added to the middle of the infographic.
    • Secondary supporting details should be added at the bottom.
  4. Students should make a hand-drawing.
    • As students design their infographic, they should focus on one component of the infographic at a time.
    • Generally, students will interpret and represent data differently.  This makes each learning artifact unique.
  5. The first time your students are tasked with creating an infographic, I recommend that they complete the entire artifact by hand.  Legal paper works well for this, and a ream can be purchased for less than $5.00.
  6. After students have created an infographic by hand, they will be ready to apply that process to developing digital infographics (via a computer or iPad).  There are many web 2.0 tools that can be used to create infographics, but initially, PowerPoint would work well.

In my opinion, the greatest benefit of infographics is that they allow students to better communicate their understanding of complex data, concepts, and ideas.  If you’re interested in exploring the use of infographics in the classroom, I would love to collaborate. 

What to learn more?  Peruse the resources listed below.

One Response to “Literacy Tip Tuesday: Student-created Infographics”

1. [...] I shared how student-created infographics can be used to build visual literacy.  Check out that blog post to learn more about the basics of infographics, explore examples, and review a suggested sequence [...]